Raise your hand if, lately, in our current political climate, you feel…reactive?
We are witnessing the most unconscious aspects of humanity on full display in our political arena, and we are seeing unprecedented levels of communication serving as constant reminders of the soup of true insanity we find ourselves in.
It is easy to argue this insanity we are experiencing as part of what it means to be in the United States of America. It’s inevitable, as old as our “founding.” The difference? The entire country is feeling confronted by it, which leads to a shift. Why now? Because on some level, deep within our collective soul, we are finally ready.
With the electric environment of drama we live in, it was no surprise when grumblings of a word ban started to come out of the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), that, as a community leader, I would get inundated with requests from HIGHLY evolved and devoted policymakers, business leaders, and activists asking for my spiritual perspective.
While I appreciate the strong desire to speak in real time on real issues, I am also unwilling to be a walking reaction. It is unfriendly to my central nervous system, which leads to an unfriendly leader, mom, wife, and friend. (I know this from experience.)
And then I found myself confronted with the need to engage, of all places, in a cabana in Mexico. I was spending time with one of the world’s leading Evangelical Christian ministers—a “rockstar pastor”—and I was struck with an urgency to be fully transparent in clarifying my community’s beliefs on those 7 words “banned” by the CDC. Suddenly, I knew exactly what needed to be said.
- We believe as intrinsically connected organisms that it is our responsibility to care and tend to the most VULNERABLE among us—such that all of humanity may experience material peace and comfort.
- We believe ENTITLEMENTS are our collective moral mandate to a loving and just global society, ensuring access to food, shelter, education, and healthcare.
- We believe DIVERSITY of race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, and religion demonstrates the most glorious aspects of God—the multiplicity of our unity is celebrated through our differences.
- We believe that the TRANSGENDER expression is holy, ancient, mystical, and worthy of celebration—a divine appointment that stirs uniquely in the soul.
- We believe that a woman has dominion over her uterus, is divinely guided to determine the future of her FETUS, and has agency over her entire body.
- We believe that EVIDENCE-BASED practices demonstrate the evolution of human consciousness and greatly advance our understanding of this vast universe.
- We believe SCIENCE-BASED research is essential in addressing climate change and caring for our planet and its resources.
Witnessing the “rockstar pastor” squirm as I curiously questioned his church’s policies impacting the LGBTQ community was fascinating (and I’ll admit a little fun). Here I was, privileged to know where my own community’s progressive policies stood on these critical and pressing issues. Yet I wasn’t contributing them in a necessary and visible way beyond our four walls. It was time to speak up. For my community. For everyone.
What we say matters. But what we don’t say can speak volumes. I lead a community of affirming badasses devoted to celebrating one another’s unique and holy expression on the planet and still, we can fall asleep.
When we ignore the very things that contribute to the compromising, reducing, or diminishing of one’s personhood or identity, I pray our sleepy state is interrupted. Our adolescent understanding of the universe is ready for some serious spiritual maturation. Our planet is calling for it.
Answer the call.